This recipe was given to me by a friend of mine in high school and I tweaked it to turn these into the legend they are today.
I am not really sure how this recipe ended up with this name but it is pretty accurate. These are the one cookie that everyone loves. I have received marriage proposals over these cookies; the cookie I have taken on every school trip and make for almost every function. I could probably make them in my sleep at this point.
The real secret to these cookies is using two different types of chocolate chips. Feel free to play around with the amount of chips or add other mix-ins but always use milk chocolate chips and a semi-sweet or dark chocolate. I honestly think it makes any type of chocolate chip cookie better.
1 cup Shortening
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 cups AP flour
2t Baking Soda
2 cups Oatmeal (I like old fashioned)
6oz milk chocolate chips
6oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream shortening and sugars. Just cream until combined.
- Add one egg at a time and add vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- I use a red scoop (1 1/3oz) to portion these cookies. Most people make smaller cookies though. Bake for 7 minutes, rotate, 7 minutes more. They may take more or less time depending on how big you scoop these. Look for lightly golden brown edges with slightly gooey centers. If they are evenly golden brown they are over cooked. Let cool on pan and transfer to cooling rack once they have firmed up. Usually about 7 min.