This is for all of my fellow lactose intolerant comrades. This is a great alternative to regular cheesecake, it is light and fluffy and nicely coconutty. Please let me know in the comments section if you have any non soy based dairy free cream cheese options. I generally try to avoid it when I can.
14 oz. (400g) non-dairy cream cheese like Tofutti, at room temperature
1/4 cup (50g) sugar
1/4 cup (60g) coconut oil, at room temperature
6 large eggs, divided
7 oz. (200g) coconut milk, at room temperature do not use lite
2 tsp. lemon juice
2/3 cup (80g) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Grease a 9 inch (23cm) cake pan (I used a 8in and a 6in cake pan) and line with parchment paper (bottom and sides). The baking parchment should go at least 2 inches (5cm) over the edge of the form, because the cake rises a lot. Start boiling water. Preheat the oven to 325˚F (160°C).
- Divide the eggs and place the egg whites in the fridge.
- In a large bowl mix the non-dairy cream cheese until lumps are gone
- Add the coconut oil and mix until well combined.
- And sugar (the 1/4 cup) on medium speed until combined.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time.
- Add the coconut milk and lemon juice and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and mix well.
- In a second bowl mix the cold egg whites on medium speed until they foam up. Increase the speed and slowly add the sugar (the 1/2 cup). Continue mixing on high speed for about 3-4 minutes until stiff peaks form. You should get a thick and glossy meringue – the volume should have doubled. Fold in about meringue to the non-dairy cream cheese mixture in 3 parts. Transfer to the prepared cake pan or pans 😉 and smooth out the top. Let drop on your counter once or twice to get air bubbles out of the batter.
- Place the cake in a larger baking pan and add boiling water to that pan – the water should go up at least half way up the side of the pan. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 55-65 minutes. Test with a toothpick inserted in the center – if it comes out clean the cake is done. Be careful – do not move the cake too much or it will collapse. Carefully remove from the oven and let cool down completely on a wire rack before removing from the cake plan. When cooled place in the fridge for 2-3 hours. Carefully remove from the pan and dust with confectioner’s sugar before serving – the cake is very delicate, so use a warm knife for cutting slices.
- Enjoy this wonderfully delicate and fluffy cheesecake!!!